Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Road Trip

After almost a year of living in her own apartment, my daughter called me the other day and asked me how to clean a bathroom.

Well.  No sense in being hasty about these things.

I'm sure this impromptu housekeeping was due to the fact that I recently visited her.  I really, really tried to restrain myself but after viewing the kitchen and bathroom the words just exploded out of me, much like the new life forms growing in the kitchen trashcan, which, judging from the smell, was apparently last emptied the week the girls moved into the place.  She has a kitchen door that leads to a porch;  she could bag the trash and leave it out there until she puts it in the trash can.  Someone might think it's valuable and steal it, and boy, what a shock that would be for the thief.
But at least it would be out of the house. 

We were there because my boyfriend and I decided to take a road trip.  Stay with a friend of his from high school, visit my daughter.  Use the back roads instead of the major freeways, pack lots of snacks, stop at obscure landmarks, take many pictures.

It was rather impromptu.
Off we went.  Our first stop was this cave, Black Chasm Cavern, located in Volcano, CA.  I just love stuff like this.  Then we took off down highway 49, through the Gold Country on the way to LA.  We stopped in Sonora, and picked this hotel at random.  Turned out to be a great place, old, full of antiques, nice little pool, absolutely fabulous breakfast.  I took plenty of notes and pictures, because my ultimate goal, aside from writing THE definitive novel of our lifetime is to own and run a bed and breakfast.

The weather in LA was perfect.   His musician friend's beautiful British girlfriend was visiting.   The boys caught up.  We girls got acquainted and became friends.  We had a blast together.  Mornings were spent in the enchanting garden, wearing our "guest robes," drinking coffee,  chatting, laughing.   

What is it about accents?  The beautiful Brit would have been charming anyway, but even more so with the accent.  She's also blonde, smart, successful. And really, really nice.   All that and an accent, too, it's just not fair.  I've been trying to develop one, but being a California girl, it's just not easy.

I caught up with my daughter, who becomes nicer every time I see her, in spite of her lack of cleaning skills.  I figure it's all okay, because someday when she's famous she can hire someone to do the cleaning for her. 

The most astonishing discovery of the road trip was the fact that my boyfriend and I actually get along.  We can spend hours in a car, driving along, talking, and even listening to each other's music without too much issue.  Even our silences are comfortable and unforced.

Now, if I could only get him to admit that he loves Eminem.  Give him a few more roadtrips, he'll come around.

No comments:

Post a Comment