Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Transit of Venus

The Transit of Venus won't occur again in our lifetime.  It is the planet Venus crossing in front of the sun, much like a cosmic beauty spot.  I suppose my good friend and personal astrologer could tell me the significance of this event, but unfortunately, I never paid her the money she wanted to maintain our deep and undying friendship.  She did let me know that for a short time only, she would lower her price for me since the information she needs to give me is so important, and requires her expert guidance.  Except for this very kind offer, she and her friendship have mysteriously disappeared out of my inbox.  Guess I'll have to muddle through without her.

When I think about Venus, I think about love, probably because when I was a little girl, I remember a movie about Venus, with Zsa Zsa Gabor as a beautiful Venusian woman.  The female-only planet  was ruled by this evil Queen who had been disfigured by radiation and blamed men.  So love was illegal.  Of course, these handsome male astronauts land on the planet and fall in love with Zsa Zsa.  It was a really hokey movie, but here I am, a grown woman and I still remember the green planet, and all these really beautiful women in flowing, green dresses.  They were all looking for love, but of course, the evil Queen had made it impossible.  I pictured my dumpy little body in one of those sexy green dresses- gave me something to aspire to.  I just knew, someday Prince Charming would come flying in, riding in his silver rocket ship.  Then, that would be love.  Hollywood told me so.

My best friend lives with her husband in a small town in another state.  The man I'm dating and I decided to take a road trip and go visit them.  In spite of inclement weather- unexpected snow, heavy rain, high winds-  time flew by in the car, and we had a lot of fun.  We are comfortable together, and we never run out of things to talk about.  Traveling together can be a real test, and I think we passed, even though he did ban my ipod, because for some reason my music makes him crazy.  He brought all these snacks, however, which are a road trip essential, and he took me out for a trucker's breakfast before we left, so not liking some of my fabulous pop music is okay, I guess.  He's also a socially liberal Democrat.   Sometimes I'm liberal, sometimes more moderate, and often just Libertarian.    This makes our political discussions interesting, in spite of the fact that I think he just hates politics in general.  We've had several discussions about guns. He's thinks they're dangerous, and that there are too many of them on the street. I believe that it's a personal choice, one that shouldn't be dictated by government, but if it is, then along the lines of the second amendment.  I've actually wanted one for a couple of years.  We agree to disagree.

The town my best friend lives in is small and really pretty, a green gem in the high desert.  It's ranching, farming and mining country.  My best friend's husband is another socially liberal Democrat.   He owns a restaurant in their town, and as a business owner is on good terms with everyone.  When the local chapter of the NRA held a fund-raising raffle, he bought a ticket, and unbelievably won second prize, which was essentially an arsenal.  A couple of shotguns, something like an elephant gun, a couple of handguns.  Ammo for days.  It is a pretty impressive display of firepower.  He suggested we take the arsenal and go to the shooting range.  He and my best friend go regularly, and are crack shots.  The man I'm dating had never shot a gun in his entire life.  I hadn't shot a gun since college.  So, of course, off we went.

We had a blast.  (I had to say that, sorry.)  Who knew that shooting at a couple of orange rubber cubes could be so fun?  And who knew that the man I'm dating was such a good shot?  He's got that hand-eye coordination that I lack, because I was pretty awful.  It was a lot of fun, however.   

My best friend and her husband have been married twenty-two years and are still madly in love.  This gives me great hope- love is out there, and you can find it.  Sometimes Prince Charming doesn't come riding in on a big white horse, or fly in on a silver rocket ship.  Sometimes he drives a riding lawnmower.  Sometimes he comes riding in on a motorcycle with an oil leak.  You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment