Monday, March 12, 2012

Crush


Funny about crushes.  It doesn't matter how old you are, you are always susceptible.  There is often no rhyme or reason.  Look forward to the mailman?  Or the garbage man?  How about the UPS man?  The cute checker at the grocery store?  The guy that makes your latte?  The best thing about a crush is that it has the potential to be anything you want it to be.  Love?  Marriage?  A torrid affair?  A guy who will be everything you desire, and yet- because he's someone you admire from a distance, you will never get to discover his flaws, and the elements that make him a human being.  He'll never disappoint you.  He'll just be that perfect picture on the fridge.  Easily replaced by the next perfect picture.

Like everything else about me, my crushes are all over the map.   Liberace, the gay pianist.  Who has a crush on Liberace?  Me, of course, as a kid.  I just thought he was to die for, and I didn't have a clue what a gay man was.  Also through the years, were:  Walter Cronkite.  Peter Jennings.  Mick Jagger.  George Harrison.  Prince.  Placido Domingo.  Frank Sinatra.  Christopher Hogwood.  Clark Gable.  Cary Grant.  Steve McQueen.  Sean Connery.  Johnny Depp.  Daniel Craig.  Brad Pitt.  George Clooney.   John "The Count" Montefusco, who pitched a no-hitter against the Braves when I was a junior in high school.  Joe Namath.  Will Clark.  JT Snow.  Howie Long.  Joe Montana.  John Madden- now that he's not regularly on TV anymore, I listen to KCBS every weekday morning to listen to him.  Boomer Esiason-  I like football on CBS especially to watch Boomer make his comments.  Also- in spite of the fact that I knew he was a juicer, and he kept marrying bimbos, I thought Jose Canseco was kind of a god.  And then there's this gorgeous young kid at my gym.  I've never spoken to him- after all, why spoil the fantasy?  He's perfect from afar.  Up close, he might not be able to put a sentence together.  Better to just look.

I had an actual date the other night.  And it was fun.  We went to a hockey game, and our team won.  There's nothing like being at a live sporting event.  Baseball is my game of choice, but I also love football,  hockey, soccer, swimming, water polo, track.  Nothing like being there, part of the action.  Even though I suspect I would have had fun watching the game on the couch with this guy.  I think I might have a teensy little crush on him.

I wonder if he can ever measure up to Liberace?


No comments:

Post a Comment