Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

Well, it finally happened.  The man I'm dating and I went to a ball game. Never mind that he insists that real baseball weather is sweating through your shorts at 10:00 p.m., and that we were huddled up, wearing down, covered by a blanket because the fog was swirling around and it was windy, cold and damp.  Never mind again that he was rooting for the wrong team, so we were both dressed head-to-toe in different logos and colors.  And really, does it matter that his team won?  And, that he gloated about it, for a bit?  I mean, he's insufferable when he's wrong.  Just imagine when he's right.

In spite of the right team losing, it was a great night.

We were seated up in nosebleed seats, which still gave us a pretty good view.  Not that my team gave me too much to watch, but I could see, nevertheless.  We were seated next to a couple of men, both supporting the right team, whom he chatted up when I went off in search of garlic fries.  Let's see if I can make their story clear.

They were both married to the same woman.  At different times, of course.  The first man, he had been married to her, and they had a fairly acrimonious divorce.  The second man, he married her after she divorced the first one.  It took ten years for the two men to actually become friends;  actually for the first man to tolerate the second man, and now they were best friends and went to ball games and such together.  They didn't know each other at all before the wife married the second one.

And- that's not all.

Soon a young man in his twenties showed up, to claim the remaining empty seat.  Much to my traitorous companion's delight, the kid was fully decked out in the other team's colors- jersey, cap, sweatshirt, etc.  The two of them had a pretty spirited conversation about how their team was one step away from God almighty himself.  Really, that kind of adulation gets a little old.

This kid was the son-in-law of the first man, married to his daughter.  This made him the step-son-in-law of the second man, married to his step-daughter.

I bet their holiday dinners are a blast, because they were all pretty fun.

Eventually, the son-in-law/step-son-in-law left, saying his wife wanted him home at a certain time.  The dads joked about him being whipped, all the men present guffawed in a knowing manner.  Later, it turned out that the kid had just used that as an excuse, and was partying with some other friends in a different section.  He just wanted to be rid of us old farts, I guess.

A good time was had by all.

Even though my team lost, my garlic fries were outstanding.  Some things never let you down.  Not only did the seats have a great view, they were around the corner from the concession stand that sold garlic fries, imagine the luck.  And- for all of our subsequent games, my traitorous companion and I are rooting for the same team, and dog that he is, he has a chance to redeem himself.  Even though, my best friend's husband told me that a real man doesn't change his team affiliation....

 


No comments:

Post a Comment