Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Does Everybody Lie?

It's getting to the point, when I look at a potential date on the internet, I automatically add five years onto his age.  Because five years seems to be the average amount that men shave off from their actual, biological age.  Now, obviously, this isn't always the case.  Some men are perfectly forthcoming about how old they are.  But it happens frequently enough that you just start to wonder- does everybody lie?  Even women I know admit to taking off a couple of years.  I realize that when you're online, forget what your mother told you, about how what's inside is more beautiful than what's on the outside.  That it's better to be smart than cute.  I happen to think that's the truth, but on the internet, it's all just bulls%*t.  Because, sadly, inner beauty and a head full of brains isn't going to get you a date on Friday night.

You are judged by:

1.  A picture.  What if you aren't particularly photogenic, or are plain, or just plain unattractive?  How does your sparkling personality and inner beauty shine through?  I'm not sure about this, I'm still working through this little issue myself.

2.  Your birthday.  If you say you are 50, that triggers a certain mental image, that may or may not be true.  I, myself, am a perfectly youthful 53.  Of course.  Really, I am.

3.  Your profile.  That's a whole page of really stupid questions, facts, quotes and comments that you have to both write and answer, without sounding conceited, superficial, naive and stupid. This is where that inner beauty your mother told you about is supposed to shine through, but unfortunately any guy seriously looking probably didn't get past the picture. 

I'm thinking rather than lie about my age, I'll just photoshop some gorgeous model's face onto my body.  Actually, also maybe her body over my body while I'm at it.  Picture problem solved.  Of course that might make meeting the date a little difficult, because he'll be looking for a supermodel, and you'll be looking for someone five years younger, and 20 pounds lighter. 

Sigh.  No one ever said this dating thing was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment