Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Really Good Coffee Date

I have a fifteen minute rule for meeting potential dates from the internet.  I have figured out, fifteen minutes is enough time to judge whether there is any chemistry, and whether or not you actually want to see him again.  And vice versa.

On this particular Sunday, I was meeting my oldest friend for brunch.  We grew up together.  We've been friends since we were five.  She's family.  I scheduled a coffee date for after our brunch, allowing for plenty of time before and after eating for talking, window shopping, and, of course, trying on shoes (her) and boots (me.)  The area where we were meeting has a couple of really great shoe stores- boots are one of my weaknesses.  There are also great restaurants and coffee shops.  It's sort of like a one-stop pig's feast- everything I love in one place.  The guy I was meeting was amenable to meeting at one of the coffee shops on the street. 

I guess I was a little nervous.  The guy came across as a bit jaded, but pulled no punches, and had no grammatical errors in his profile.  He wrote well.  He flat out said he was smart, which I like, but didn't appear to be full of himself.  He was attractive, with a really nice smile, and wore sunglasses, which, actually, I can appreciate.  He rode a motorcycle.  We seemed to have many similar interests, in fact we were matched up at over 90%, but you just never know if there will be any chemistry.  Plus, I myself was a little jaded, having been on a flurry of coffee dates in the last couple of weeks.  So, I scheduled a hike for later in the afternoon with my gay boyfriend, figuring that I'd be done with coffee and the guy pretty quickly, as is my usual pattern.

I was wearing my lucky date outfit, which consists of good jeans that fit really well, a navy blue flowy tank top, and a pair of tough boots.  I brought a jacket but fortunately the weather cooperated, and it was sunny and almost warm, so I could show off the flowy tank top and my arms.  (I'm a muscle-head, and lift weights regularly- my arms are pretty toned.)

I was pleasantly surprised when he showed up- he hadn't lied about his age, and his picture was pretty accurate.   Devilish smile.  Blue eyes under those sunglasses.  Sharp as a tack.  Really funny.  Outgoing.  Great personality.  A bit rough around the edges.  I felt like someone had dropped a ton of bricks on my head.  And time stood still.  We sat there for well over two hours.

I never did get that hike in, but my gay boyfriend ultimately forgave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment