Monday, February 13, 2012

The Thorny Issue of Valentine's Day

Even when I've been happily coupled up I've always felt uncomfortable on Valentine's Day.  Why is there just one day devoted to love and romance? Why is it dictated by Hallmark and the advertisers who want us to prove our love and devotion by spending our hard-earned dollars on junk and sugar that we don't really need?  Why do restaurants always jack-up their prices on February 14th?  If you're with someone, why isn't a part of everyday something like the idea of Valentine's Day?  Even between jobs, kids, life, shouldn't there be a moment when you look at each other and are just happy that you are together?  No relationship is perfect, and you will get irritated with your partner.  And they with you.  That's life.  But really, if you never lose track of why you chose them to begin with- well, I guess that's what Valentine's Day is to me.

As for February 14th, I always cave in and send out Valentines to my friends and my kids.  Underneath my skeptical and sarcastic exterior beats the heart of a romantic.

Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment