Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Stella, Doc Marten and Pearls

Every girl has a go-to store, a shop where you can find a fabulous outfit for not very much money.  My favorite shop is a consignment store, run by two really pretty, sweet sisters.  Their shop is full of great finds.  Designer clothes at reasonable prices, amazing handbags, fabulous boots and shoes.  Really fun stuff, with a constantly changing inventory, so you never know what you'll find.  Plus, the sisters are an instant party.  I don't really shop too much these days, I have neither the time nor the money.  I also have a lot of clothes, shoes, boots and handbags.  But if I need an outfit for an occasion, or work, or just because the sun is out and I'm feeling pretty, this is my place to go.

I'm a little funky in my fashion choices.  I love dresses, and will wear them year 'round.  In the winter I'll wear them with tights and cashmere cardigans and maybe a down jacket and some really tough boots.  In the fall and spring I'll wear a dress without tights, but with boots, and with a cashmere cardigan and maybe a down vest or a leather jacket.  In the summer I like to wear a sundress with a cotton cardigan and sandals or flip flops, or a pair of cowboy boots.  I love pearls, wear them all the time.  I love mixing a Target dress with a J.Crew cardigan, Frye boots and a Cole Haan handbag.  And who says you can't wear an Ann Taylor dress with Doc Martens?  Not me, certainly.

Typically, men don't like to shop.  I, however, once dated a man who used to accompany me to my favorite store, and follow me around, looking at what I picked out.  He would attempt to pick things for me, and usually they were things I would never wear.  He hovered over me, in an irritating fashion, wanting to know why I chose what I did.  Told me my purses were too big. Thought my pearls were too big.  Told me that I shouldn't wear boots, that they were a little rough and made me look like I was screaming for attention.

Hello- isn't fashion about screaming for attention?  Isn't that the point?  And, since when are pearls too big?!I have my own style, and I know some people think it's a bit off.  Maybe.  But it's me, my look, and I own it.  I guess if you don't like it, don't look at me.

Mr. Control-Freak really didn't really like my Doc Martens, and ultimately I decided I didn't really like him.  I chose the Docs.

The moral of this story is:  Never pay full retail.  Find your own style, whatever that may be.  Don't let some controlling man tell you what you can or cannot wear.  If it comes down to choosing between a man who doesn't like your boots and your boots themselves, take your boots.  They don't argue, they walk with you where you want to go, they look really good, and most importantly, they keep your feet warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment